Humans Could Go EXTINCT This Century?

Tech and Science News: Humans Could Go EXTINCT This Century?

Yes, we are all going to die but maybe sooner than you'd think. New data from the Global Challenges Foundation shows the likelihood of massive human catastrophe in the next century to be around 10%. That means there's a better chance of doomsday than dying in a car accident. Or choking. Or being eaten by a shark. Or getting hit by lightning. Or meeting an angry hippo. I mean, those all sound like pretty great stories for your family to tell, not that you'd be around to share the laughs. But I guess if we're all extinct no one's laughing. Except hyenas, maybe. They weren't included in this analysis.

Binge Mode

More Tech and Science News

See All Tech and Science News Videos

Other Videos You'll Like

Comments (26)

  • RiverRunning

    1 year ago

    Hey... why the downer on Brits? If you want pessimistic go for the French! (But I guess they don't write their reports in English...)

  • NotFish FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hikikomori Gamer

    1 year ago

    It's a "God" level threat! Someone call Saitama.

  • Kevinet496

    1 year ago


    "The odds are that we will probably be alright
    Odds are we're gonna be alright, odds are we're gonna be alright tonight
    The odds are that we will probably be alright
    Odds are we're gonna be alright, odds are we're gonna be alright for another night"


    Am I the only one who got reminded of this song after watching this? :D

  • Zalx

    1 year ago

    I'd say the biggest global catastrophe that we're experiencing now is antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.

  • DavidtheWavid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    Didn't RvB point out back in the day that everyone thinks the world will end in their lifetime?


  • EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold http://bit.ly/2xQCPgy

    1 year ago

    I love making fun of alarmists. (Sadly, challenging certain alarmists in the USA could become illegal if the alarmists have their way.)

    • DavidtheWavid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

      1 year ago

      While you can't live your life this paranoid, you should still do your part to make sure it isn't true.

  • 1000MCHIEF FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Follow @AH_Michael_dick

    1 year ago

    Honestly, as long as I end the day on a okay note and I don't have any regrets that day I don't care if I die the next day.

  • chesslooter FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold chesslooter

    1 year ago

    Turn down the AC. Ryan looks so cold.

  • DerekT FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Dark God of things

    1 year ago

    this sounds like a excuse for them to get laid.
    "hay we have a 10% chance to die within the next few hundred years, wanna have sex?"

  • Sphlunger

    1 year ago

    honestly that number just isn't big enough come on universe end our eternal suffering

  • CoffeeBurps FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    10% chance? Eh, I'll take those odds. 90% chance it wont happen so I'm gonna go with "eh who cares"

  • ReckonBallZ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Watcher on the 4th Wall

    1 year ago

    Nobody ever said that we couldn't cascade through each and every scenario: global warming, nuclear war, genetic weapons, hostile AI, asteroids, and then the cheeseburger that broke the ATV's back will befall us.

    • DavidtheWavid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

      1 year ago

      "Cheesburger that broke the ATV's back." I like that phrase.

  • TheSnowFox FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Lone Wanderer

    1 year ago

    Sounds like GCF needs a funding cut till they start looking more on the bright side.

    • DavidtheWavid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

      1 year ago

      And that attitude is what's wrong with the world. "Punish people with manmade institutions for warning us of dangers." Real Plato's Cave thing going on here.

  • peter238

    1 year ago

    Compounding probability for that sort of thing is stupid, agreed. Also there's no way to take into account how far preventive measures can be taken even 50-80 years from now.


    Relevant The Simpsons video:

  • JiggyTurtle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    Every century is the "last century." It'll happen or it won't.

  • Iakavas FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    remember if you are drunk, be lazy bastard , call uber.

  • Dum8kid FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    Dying on your birthday, while drunk, on an ATV, and eating a cheeseburger... So American I would be proud to die that way.

  • GreyGhost9036 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Angry Beaver

    1 year ago

    Or you could play sumo basketball, gets shoved, and bang your head on the floor. I feel like ive heard of this situation somewhere.

  • DarkTempler7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    People have been crying global extinction since the year 2000 rolled around.

    • RiverRunning

      1 year ago

      You mean "the year 2000 BC", right?

  • APrecursor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

    1 year ago

    It might not be like super crucial or anything but I feel like we shouldn't undermine things that do actually pose risks to human lives.

  • BruttStruff

    1 year ago

    I'd rather die from the world ending than a car crash

    • BruttStruff

      1 year ago

      But I mean we're all gonna die so does it really matter?