Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC-All Minecraft All the Time

Posts (376)

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Eric Hohoho! Vela

#33649835 - 3 months ago

Here is where I hope for the people of the OCC to share their creations, experiences, server invitations, questions, tips, wishlists, planned gatherings, etc. regarding all editions and mods of Minecraft.

Let's build better worlds... or really, really weird worlds.

• EricHVela

EricHVela FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Eric Hohoho! Vela

#33649837 - 3 months ago

How to Hatchery?!

I have the "FTB Presents Sky Factory 3" mod pack, but I can't seem to figure out the most useful part of the Hatchery mod in the pack. Everyone says to take a net, catch a chicken, and put it in a pen. The empty pens say to use a "Animal Net" to catch a chicken. Done.

Everyone says to right-click the net with the chicken on the pen to put the chicken in it. No dice. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Bupkis. Zip. Don't work.

Any chicken: ones marked breedable, ones marked non-breedable, tier 1, tier 2, extra stats, vanilla. None of them will go into the pen. (Even tried baby chicken just to see. Didn't expect that to work and it didn't. I also tried dropping the net into one of the slots. It didn't work as I expected it not to work.)

Help! I wanna be like Geoff and breed these miserable little birds without chasing them around with feed and collecting whatever they scatter around their area.

• EricHVela

#33649912 - 3 months ago

@Shadow5435

I think I might have a way of automating the process of dirt after the trees are cut.

There seems to be computer and robotics stuff in at least two mods in the SF3 pack. I wonder if there is a means to get a program to plant, grow, prune trees, punch wood, harvest saplings and keep building shears from the wood and saplings. That's far advanced for me at the moment, but given all that they jammed in there, I'm willing to place a small bet that there is a means to automate dirt generation even if it doesn't seem straight-forward.

• Fly

Fly FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Blades

#33649921 - 3 months ago

Intrigued by Sky Factory but don't have a PC capable of running it. So I'll just watch from the shadows...

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Grape-kun

#33649926 - 3 months ago

In reply to Fly

I mean. You might be able to run it. There isn't exactly a lot to render....

• EricHVela

#33649933 - 3 months ago

In reply to Fly

6GB RAM recommended, but that's only texture handling. 64-bit PC required. No extra lag with mechanical drive. Startup takes just as long on SSD. It only processes the things that you use in the active chunk. 

Graphics-wise? Works fine on my Intel-embedded tablet at max settings. There's nothing to see beyond the active chunk for probably several decades of minecraft years. It's far less of a strain on the video than vanilla Minecraft, actually.

Still, a 486 PC with a nVidia 5500 won't be able to do much with it. i3 or better with nVidea 300 or better or equivalent will probably be fine.

I have Twitch shut down to idle -- no streaming services at all enabled. I only have it to make the install and updates easy for SF3 -- don't need Minecraft installed at all as it'll do all the downloading for you and set up the SF3 profile. SF2.5 uses a different management client I think? Not sure.

If you have a licensed Mojang account, there can be no harm in trying it. If it doesn't work, revert.

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33649939 - 3 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

re: Net

Maybe you are not using the right net... is it the Net from that same mod as the Pen?

Cheat one in as a test, after the test just toss it off the side for Fairness and make one legit

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Grape-kun

#33649945 - 3 months ago

In reply to Fly

In reply to EricHVela

If you use the legacy launcher and then download and install a mod called "Optifine" it should help greatly. It's a mod that's been around for years and actually optimizes Minecraft for lower end machines.

Back when I was actually playing a lot of Minecraft (like seven years ago) it was the only way I could play it on my laptop. Instead of lagging on tiny render distance I could get like fifteen FPS on medium. That was huge.

• EricHVela

#33649949 - 3 months ago

In reply to RWBimbie

I thought I made sure it was the Hatchery "Animal Net". (The associated mod's name appears with the item in the recipe list. You can also filter down to mods by using the at symbol with the mod name without spaces or punctuation.) I'll have to check when I get home.

Funny thing is: Because early on in my first mob grinder attempt, I got a drop for a piggyback (a chest piece that supposedly allows you to wear a mob like Yoda on Luke), I tried that first.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Haven't figured out how to get the piggyback to work, either. Says to right-click a mob to carry it. I didn't try holding it in the hand, though. It was a chest piece so I tried wearing it. It was only a curiosity anyway. As a castaway (solo), I don't have anyone to test it on.

• EricHVela

#33649957 - 3 months ago

In reply to Shadow5435

Twitch launches into MC's embedded launcher by default which you can configure further in either Twitch or the launcher, but you also have the option to skip all that and launch a JAR directly from Twitch.

Also, Twitch will take care of the files you need for the mods that it manages. It manages most of the FTB mods (which SF3 is FTB).

It'll let you be as hands-on or hands-off as you want in the configuration. I haven't touched Optifine in a couple of years because it caused weird glitches in what was otherwise a vanilla installation.

I stick with hands-off for now. It works. (I also worry about adding another mod to 190+ mods, but I keep reading about people doing it all of the time to make an easier solution than what's included in SF3. I don't want to do that. Gotta have some challenge. amirite?)

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33649980 - 3 months ago

hmmm

I just use the FTB Launcher jar for linux.

It has "FTB Presents Sky Factory 3" as one of the packs it shuffles for you

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33650023 - 3 months ago

I don't know about Sky Factory but I use Mo'Villages mod (latest is for 1.11.2) to generate lots of villages. I also have a map mod because otherwise I just get lost. 

• EricHVela

#33650031 - 3 months ago

SHIFT-RIGHT-CLICK!!!

That's what I was missing. Nothing I read mentioned shift. To attach things to things with their own interface, you have to use shift. I don't know why I forgot about that since I've had to pipe stuff between all kinds of things with their own interfaces.

Now, I need to get these two making a gold egg, and I need to make a quick trip to the Nether for a Nq chicken.

In reply to SailorGirl81

SF3 has a map mod (or more). There's an overall map and a minimap, both configurable. It also has "waypoints", beams of light, that you can set and, upon death, sets one for you. (I delete the death waypoints immediately. I'm the only one here on a small island in space. I know where I died. I think there's an option somewhere to keep them from appearing at death, but if I do that, I won't think about having it on when I need it.)

• EricHVela

#33650189 - 3 months ago

[SF3 Mod pack]

Wheat. Lots and lots of wheat. Have to make hay. Have to make nesting pens. Chickens are everywhere! Dropping everything all over the place! (Actually, only all over the area where they're fenced in.)

Can't do the free-range stuff now. Too many.

I've had to kill some chickens. Only duplicates of lesser stats though. I still don't understand how to get better stats. I'm guessing it has to do with subsequent generations, but I haven't figured out how that works. Kept getting 1/1/1 starter stats.

They're on cobblestone to prevent spawning more (and to prevent all other plains mobs, too).

Can't seem to get a red chicken and sand chicken to cross-breed.

Either the AH folks are using a different version of SF or they found a very convenient bug, because...

The Nether is Hell, now. (The code in the game has the ID of 'hell' so it is both literal and figurative.) There's the portal and nothing. I can see fortresses in the distance and floating bunches of glowstone, but there's nothing else. No cavern of flowing lava. No netherrack, no quartz, no soulsand. I have no idea how you're supposed to get those yet, but I know they are needed for things.

Sky Factory 3 really throws you into the deep end. Speaking of...

I found one End Portal block in a Legendary Loot bag. I wonder if the End is going to be just as empty, but that won't matter if I can't get blaze rods... unless I get a blaze rod chicken which requires one of the three nether-spawning chickens. (Can't remember which one, possibly more than one.)

I hope I can figure out flying. There's no way to navigate the Nether without it.

• Fly

Fly FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Blades

#33650199 - 3 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

You can't place a block at the edge of the nether portal? and create a cobblestone pathway to the fortresses and etc?

• EricHVela

#33650203 - 3 months ago

In reply to Fly

I could, but the fortresses are crawling with blazes and skeletons. That's asking for a fall and losing whatever the player's carrying as every attack has a knockback. Ghasts can spawn on top of the flat areas of a fortress. There's no mobility to evade blasts (and you're facing backwards to place blocks so you'll never see it).

(Ropes are the only way to go down in the Nether before any ladders can be built. Ropes are dangerous things. Can't make water elevators in the Nether.)

• Fly

#33650206 - 3 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

I understand that... But you could at least place a sturdy base around your portal so you can eventually get to that stuff. 

• EricHVela

#33650207 - 3 months ago

(On an aside. Baby chickens should peep, not cluck at a higher pitch... unless things are different for Swedish and Czech chickens. [The mod is primarily by Czech devs and they altered the chicken sounds.] It would be kinda cool to have all baby chickens come out yellow until they grow. Only the stats would say what they'll grow into.)

• EricHVela

#33650212 - 3 months ago

In reply to Fly

A sturdy base is a given. You have to do that in the Overworld. You also need to have a landing area for flying as it's not a precise motion.

You have to be cautious not to provide spawning opportunities, too. Lower-half slabs for everything in there unless you're making a Nether grinder (which is best built around an active blaze spawner). You'll need a separate grinder for Ghasts as they can accidentally destroy a blaze spawner. Everything will need fortifying against blasts, including the collecting mechanisms. Difficult task for a castaway (solo).

Cobblestone is so abundant that it makes more sense to use a half-slab of it than any full transparent solid block. It's also just as strong as a full cobblestone block where the other options tend to be delicate, but even cobblestone will have to be replaced due to the flying mobs with blasting abilities.

• EricHVela

#33650220 - 3 months ago

[SF3]

Obsidian tools and diamond weapons and armor. I don't understand how obsidian can be more durable but provide less protection and damage. (Then again, vanilla Minecraft's gold provides more enchantment slots than diamond and is less durable and protective than iron. In SF3, it's leather and some complicated but strong material that provides the most slots. There's even powered armor in SF3. Weird.)

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33650316 - 3 months ago

In reply to EricHVela

So did you install Sky Factory using the Twitch App? Or the Vanilla Launcher with forge?

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33650319 - 3 months ago

At FTB, under the windows Download button are the legacy and linux installers or FTB Launcher.

But the Linux installer is a java executable JAR.

If the linux installer is a jar, and Java is cross platform,

would the jar for linux install work on a windows machine with java?

Folks keep saying Twitch Launcher and Curse Launcher

... is FTB Launcher still a thing, or has it been consumed by a bigger launcher?

• EricHVela

#33650324 - 3 months ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

I'm using the Twitch app. Then, I essentially shut down all twitch in-game features.

It was just easier. Tablet didn't have Minecraft at all and Twitch set up the whole thing for me. PC does have it and it created another instance just for twitch-managed mods by copying the vanilla files instead of downloading them all like the tablet. Twitch defaults to launch MC's native launcher, but you can change that. SF3 still uses Forge to initialize the mod pack, but all that stuff is handled through the Twitch app.

In reply to RWBimbie

FTB now points everyone to Twitch. Some people are using an older FTB launcher, though. You can still download it from the FeedTheBeast site if I recall correctly. Twitch has most of the FTB mods and modpacks listed in its app's catalog. Click-and-install.

While FTB/Twitch are providing the mod-pack, the mod pack is still obviously Curse-based like Sky Factory 2.5 and earlier.

• EricHVela

#33650325 - 3 months ago

Is it wrong to keep trying to call vanilla Minecraft "Manilacraft"?

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33650327 - 3 months ago

heh, VanillaCraft

I got the linux FTB Launcher jar a while back, and it just updates itself occasionally for new packs