I hope you're having a lovely holiday break!
With 2017 coming to a close, we’d like to take this opportunity to look back on the year, and talk about some things we will be prioritizing in 2018. Our company and community is growing at a fast rate, which we are all so excited and proud of. 2017 was a year of growth; 2018 will be the year we improve on that growth, implement more frequent communication, and respond faster and more directly to issues that come up.
There have been some big concerns and issues which have sprung up recently (and some, not-so-recently) that we will be addressing today and over the next few weeks as we work on improvements and solutions:
1. The Store, and Customer Service
2. Grandfathered FIRST memberships being cancelled
3. The video player / community website
4. Ad reads & FIRST
We take full responsibility for the issues that many of you have been experiencing. I'm here to provide some insight, clarity, and transparency on these issues.
STORE and CUSTOMER SERVICE
There were a number of issues our store faced all at once, and we did not act fast enough to handle them. More about those details and how we took action to remedy them can be read in Chelsea’s journal here.
It became a mess, and we did not communicate what was going on well at all. We understand that many of you did not receive orders in time for Christmas, and that is unacceptable on our part. We are so sorry for the trouble this has caused and we are all working over the holiday break on something that will hopefully express our sincerest apologies and let you know how important you are.
We would also like to apologize for anyone who has had a negative experience reaching out to our customer service team during this time. Our CS team has been working as hard and fast as they can to handle these issues, and we always appreciate your feedback on your experience. In continuing to be transparent, we were not adequately prepared for just how excited all of you were to shop in our store, especially with the unexpected issues.
We are investing in growing this team in 2018 and making it the best it can be, and devoting more of our attention to CS as a whole -- because you guys deserve the best. I hope that you'll give us a chance to prove ourselves in the future, especially after we make some major changes we have in the works.
GRANDFATHERED FIRST MEMBERSHIP THROUGH PAYPAL
I want to address a few comments we’ve read, stating that Rooster Teeth is purposely cancelling the grandfathered rate FIRST memberships in order to get more money. This is absolutely not the case. We appreciate everyone who supports us, and are so thankful for those of you who've been Sponsors/FIRST members for many years.
We've had ongoing issues with PayPal, the biggest one being that if for whatever reason, PayPal wasn't able to collect funds on the subscription, it cancels it. 99% of the time it's due to a bank account change, card expiring, etc. The other 1% is a complete fluke, causing a lapse in payment for whatever reason, thus canceling the subscription. We are currently looking into a solution for those who lost their grandfathered rate through error, rather than plan change or manual cancellation, and we will have an update on this in the new year. We apologize for the confusion and frustration experienced with this issue.
THE VIDEO PLAYER & COMMUNITY WEBSITE
We are making several changes to the upcoming player in response to the current player issues. On our new platform we will actually have insight into player issues, and will able to fix them before users are largely affected.
After you see updates rolling out for our video platform, we’re going to begin releasing changes to our community website. We are so excited to show you what we’ve been working on this past year, and look forward to having much more frequent updates on this.
AD READS & FIRST PROMOTIONS
We’ve heard your feedback on a number of FIRST-related issues, and we’ve decided to make changes to accommodate that feedback:
We will not have more than 3 ad reads (including the RT Store) on any podcast
We won’t run a new FIRST promotion week until all previous goals have been met
We will work harder at keeping you updated on fixes and changes that we are making to our website and video experience
I can't say enough good things about you all -- our community, our family -- and how much your continued support and love, despite our errors and missteps, means to us. We want to do right by you, and want to give you the best experience possible, in all areas.
With most people off for the Holidays at this time, we plan to circle back in the new year to touch on all of these issues regularly moving forward. Your patience as we find solutions is incredibly appreciated.
I know this is a lot to take in at once, so I also want to let you know that we plan to do weekly posts that are more topic-focused, in order to talk more at length about specific things more regularly.