God this year had a lot of shit to it didn't it? Seems everyone is saying that these days, with all the politics, entertainment news, violence, accusations, just...there was a lot to take in this year.
Last year I made a list like I've always done for some resolutions for myself, and I got two outta five.
I close at the end of January on a house in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis, and I cannot wait. There are so many things I already have planned to do with the house, one of the first being getting the basement upgraded/cleaned up to behave more like a bar/party space than anything else. It has a wet bar in it and a giant fireplace, I'm sure I can come up with something!
I expanded my horizons quite a bit, special thanks to my girlfriend Rachel for that. Began watching some anime shows and went to some burlesque shows and concerts. Nadavis47 and MrCheese got me back into watching WWE wrestling again last January and I couldn't be happier watching a show that I know is scripted and just entertaining without a lot of the BS going on in the world. It's a great escape for sure.
I know haven't been posting anything guitar wise, and I definitely have fallen by the wayside with promising to learn the entirety of Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil album back in May (?) I think. But with @Schraver coming over here for my marathon run in October, he helped me out in figuring out some recording things that my amp can do on my computer and I look to do more especially when I've my own place!
I can still do 50 push-ups in one go, and I upped my pull-ups to 6 straight! Not the 100 and 15, respectively, but hey, I'm okay with that. Running the marathon definitely threw some interesting wrenches into the system when it comes to muscle building, but I'm really happy where I am fitness wise and the game plan is to maintain now...and not run another marathon until I'm at least 30!
For the alcohol drinking, I hit 179 days sober. That's just under 50%. I planned on hitting 200, let's just say I'm trying. I know I'm not dependent of it, I just really like good beer, haha. This foot medication that I am currently on right now limits me to a beer a week, per doctor's recommendations. So I've been doing really well with not drinking during the work week and saving that one beer for a nice beer during Vikings football. I look to continue this in a different way after my prescription comes to an end.
Alright that's enough rambling. It's 8:00am right now and currently -33°F with the windchill included. Kinda debating going out for a run or heading to the gym...but let's get to some new goals for 2018.
1. Limit my phone/internet usage. I'll admit, this year has left me worse for wear. I developed a bad habit of just constantly checking the news, Twitter, and what have you. I plan on turning off notifications for a lot of the apps on my phone, and look to try and not check it every 15 or so minutes like I have been. Can't really document that, so turning off notifications is going to be the best bet!
2. Pay more attention to local politics, especially now that I own a home! That doesn't mean I'm going to be posting more about politics on social media. I've learned that I realllllllly dislike hearing about it from others, but that doesn't mean I dislike other's speaking their mind. Simply a preference on my end. But I'll likely start attending town hall meetings and the like, plus that helps me figure out new happenings for my job, so a win-win!
3. Limit my coffee/alcohol intake. (Talk about a broken record right?) I currently have two or three large cups of coffee a day, and the alcohol stuff is a given. I'm not aiming for a certain number here, just going to work on drinking more water and tea instead!
4. Start organizing more events this year. I organized a few events for work, and just started talks with my high school swim team to start doing some for them next year. Put the skills and experience I developed doing RT MN, Rooster Speak, and Rooster Rumble events over the years to use in my professional life and personal life will be really fun! Plus it's mainly brewery/bar takeovers, I sense a theme...
5. Reach out more to my friends. I've been pretty quiet in the last couple months after the marathon run, and I really want to catch up with my friends that I've made on here, grew up with, and everything else. Also I want to get the ball rolling with my new neighbors come February and see if I can get some neighborhood parties going if they are willing and able!
I think that's a good list of things to work on...let's get started! Also if 2018 could be nicer to everyone, that would be phenomenal. I can't wait to chat/hangout with any of ya again. Whether it be in Austin come August, sooner, or later, let's boogie!